|BOCA GRANDE COMMUNITY CENTER|
|Address||Contact Information||Other Information|
131 First Street West / P.O. Box 429
Boca Grande, FL
WiFi Coverage Area
|Google Map/Directions||Staff allocated to facility's budget||& Friends of Boca Grande
Boca Grande Happenings
|Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and Saturday 9:00 am to 3:00 pm|
Building consist of 9 rooms plus five restrooms & three storage areas
1. Lee County Parks and Recreation Office - used by Lee County staff
2. Friends of Boca Grande - used by Friends staff.
3. Houghton Room (1090 sf) - used for meetings and programs.
4. G.I.C.I.A. Room (670 sf) - offices for the Gasparilla Island Conservation and Improvement Association staff.
5. Auditorium (2880 sf) - used for plays, meetings and movies. Amenities include stage, wi-fi and audio/visual equipment.
6. Woman's Club Room (1340 sf) - used for meetings and programs. Amenities include small kitchen, wi-fi and audio/visual equipment.
7. Munchkins Room (670 sf) - used for the youth educational program.
8. ADA Accessible Restrooms - there are two men's and two women's restroom that are ADA accessible.
9. Fitness Center (670 sf) - used as exercise room. Equipment includes multi-station gym, rack of dumbbells, two adjustable benches, upright & recumbent bike, treadmills and elliptical machines.
10. Multi-purpose Room (1232 sf) - used for youth programs.
11. Special Interest Room (319 sf) - used as a "Green" room for Royal Palm Players, small meetings and small fitness classes.
Also on the ground of the Community Center are the Island School, Teacherage House, Dishong-Bowen House and Crowninshield Community House. These facilites are leased to island organization who provide programs and activities for the community. In early 2006 the Teacherage and Dishong-Bowen Historic Houses were again open to the public after going through extensive renovation. The Teacherage House is home to the Boca Grande Historical Society and Boca Bargain (a thrift store operated by the Boca Grande Woman's Club). The Dishong-Bowen House is home to the Boca Grande Art Alliance. Accessibility: The amentities on the grounds are in compliance with the ADA. Restrooms, library, auditorium, offices, and meeting rooms.
The Boca Grande Community Center is a Lee County facility operated for the benefit of Boca Grande residents and visitors. It was designed in 1929 and built by the citizens of Boca Grande as the island school. For 35 years the classrooms were filled with students ages 5-18. With declining enrollment, the school was closed in 1963 and the children were transported to schools in Charlotte County. In the early 70's, local citizens organized to convert the school into a Center for educational and cultural programs. In March of 1975, through the cooperative efforts of the Boca Grande Woman's Club, Gasparilla Island Conservation & Improvement Association and Lee County, the Boca Grande Community Center was officially dedicated. The Center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
FRIENDS OF BOCA GRANDE